|15 minutes||Pre-Practice Discussions – Team & Coaching Staff introductions. Discuss team rules with both players and parents, set expectations for the season, discuss practice and game schedules, collect all contact information from parents, explain communication protocol between parents and coaches, and discuss any rule changes for league/new division.|
|15 minutes||Pre-Practice Warm-Ups – It is important to start all practices with a warm-up and set routine, including stretching, jog/sprint running and throwing.|
Individual Position Work Session (4 stations) — Session Reference #503
Hitting Session – Bunting
–— Coaches go over Bunting techniques including body position, angles and directions
Bunting/Hitting Rounds – Session Reference #509
– Divide team into hitting groups, with 2-3 rounds each group
• Round 1: Sacrifice Bunting (5 bunts) and Bunt for Base Hit (5 bunts)
• Round 2: Situational Hitting – move the runner over and hit & run hitting
• Round 3: Free Round – contact hitting to get on base, ground balls and line drives
Bunt Defensive Plays (4 Situations) –— Go over responsibility for each position and practice the following situation:
|For Catchers: Review advanced receiving techniques|
|Additional education on bunting skills|
|Review mental skills – pre-game toutine; Handling tough situations|
|501||Infield/Outfield Session||1. Coaches will place players (except pitchers) in their primary game infield/outfield positions. The coach will then hit ground balls/fly balls to the outfielders, starting at LF. The outfielders will then make throws to 2nd base.After all of the outfielders have made the plays and throws to 2nd base, then repeat this process until the outfielders have made throws to 3rd base and Home Plate. Once all of the plays and throws have been completed, the outfielders will then run to the dugout.2. Once the outfield session is completed, the catcher will then begin the “Around the Horn” throws (home to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd, 2nd to SS, SS to 1st, and 1st to home, repeat 2-3 times.3. The coach will then begin hitting ground balls to the infielders, starting at 3rd base. The players will make throws first to home, then to 1st and then to 2nd for double plays (Turning 2). Repeat this for every infield position. 2-3 rounds.4. The final round of infield starts with the coach hitting one ball to the infielders, in a deep position at back of infield making a long throw to 1st base, then drops a slow roller where the infielder charges and makes play to 1st base. The 1st baseman will make his throws to the catcher at home plate.
After each round the coach should roll a ball in front of home plate and the catcher should make throws to 1st base.
|503||Individual Position Work (4 stations)||
1. With a bucket of balls, outfielders will line up on the foul line in their ready positions each receiving shallow pop flys thrown by the coach to their glove side, throwing side and balls hit directly behind them. This drill is to be worked in a rapid rotation, with each player receiving 10-15 balls in each of the 3 angles.
With a bucket of balls and coach standing approximately 25’ away from the bag, from the 2nd base, 3rd base and shortstop angles. The first baseman will start in the ready position approximately 8-10’ from the bag. On the coach’s command, the first baseman will break towards the bag, the coach will throw balls simulating receiving good throws as well as bad throws and throws in the dirt from the 2nd baseman, 3rd baseman and shortstop. First baseman should focus on proper footwork setup and receiving the ball with the proper foot (non-glove side foot) on the bag. This drill should be worked in a rapid rotation with each player receiving 10-15 balls from each of the 3 routine infield angles. During this time, each player should receive 50-70 throws.
1. Players will pair up with one another about 10’-15’ apart in a stationary athletic position, and roll balls back and forth to their partner, simulating receiving routine ground balls, back-hand ground balls, and glove side ground balls focusing on proper glove hand and throwing hand placement.
1. With a bucket of balls and a coach standing approximately 15’-20’ away, between the pitching mound and home plate, each catcher will set-up in a proper receiving position. Coach will then throw 10-15 balls to each catcher.
|509||Bunting/Hitting 4 Rounds|| Divide team into hitting groups. Each group has 4 rounds each.
• Round 1: Sacrifice Bunts (5 Bunts each)
• Round 2: Bunt for Base Hit (5 Bunts each)
• Round 3: Situational Hitting- hitting behind runner & hit and run (7 swings each)
• Round 4: Free Round- contact hitting to get on base, emphasize hitting the ball on the ground or line drives.