Baseball Practice Plan for Age 7-9 Years
THIS WEEK’S OBJECTIVES
|15 minutes||Pre-Practice Discussions- Review last practice session/games/homework with coaches & teamWarm-Ups– It is important to start all practices with a warm-up and set routine (Arm Circles, Rotational Twists, Hamstring & Quad Stretches, Rocking side lunges, and 2 light-medium jogs around field (2 lines, 5-6 players each line)Pre-Practice Player/Pitcher throwing warm-ups (start at short distance & move back to 50’, focus on hitting head/chest of throwing partner)|
|20 minutes||Footwork, Body Control, Speed and Agility- Divide players into 3 stations of no more than 4-5 players per station. Rotate groups every 7-10 minutes.
|20-30 minutes||Infield Competitions – Divide the team into 2 equal groups.
1. The first group goes to 3rd base, the other group goes to 1st base. Each player receives 7 ground balls to be hit by coaches standing at home plate. One coach hits balls to 3rd base, the other coach hits balls to 1st base.
2. Players at 3rd base then go to SS, players at 1st base then go to 2nd base. The coaches then hit 7 more ground balls to the players at SS & 2nd base.
3. The top 2 players in each group, determined by the highest total of clean catches made out of the 14 ground balls hit to them, qualify for making the play off.
4. The top 2 from the 1st group go to SS, the top 2 from the 2nd group go to 2nd base. Coaches hit another 7 balls to each player. The top 2 players play for the “Championship”. Each will be hit 10 ground balls each at their position of choice. A coin flip will determine who goes first.
5. The “Winner” earns a prize (prize could be not having to pick up trash or equipment at the end of practice, or maybe gets to choose a practice drill for the next practice. Be creative!
|20-30 minutes||Outfield Throwing Competition for Accuracy – Divide the team into 3 groups