Baseball Practice Plan for Age 15+ Years
THIS WEEK’S OBJECTIVES
PRACTICE SCHEDULE (Total Time: 120 Mins)
|20 minutes||Pre-Practice Discussions – Team & Coaching Staff introductions. Discuss team rules with both players and parents, set expectations for the season, discuss practice and game schedules, collect all contact information from parents, explain communication protocol between parents and coaches, and discuss any rule changes for league/new division with players and parents.|
|15 minutes||Pre-Practice Warm-Ups – It is important to start all practices with a warm-up and set routine, including stretching, jog/sprint running and throwing. (As a team down the right field or left field foul line.)|
|20 minutes||Individual Position Work (4 stations) — Session Reference #503 • Station 1: Outfield Fundamentals (down right field/left field foul line)
• Station 2: First baseman footwork/receiving throws & balls in dirt (at 1st base)
• Station 3: Second baseman, 3rd baseman and shortstop (at SS and 3rd base area)
• Station 4: Catchers receiving, throwing to 2nd & blocking drills (at home plate)
|15 minutes||Infield/Outfield Session
— Session Reference #501-2 full rounds of infield/outfield pregame session with players in their primary positions, then another 2 full rounds of I/O with players in their secondary positions.
|30 minutes||Bunting/Hitting Rounds — Session Reference #509– Divide team into hitting groups. Each group has 4 rounds each.
• Round 1: Sacrifice Bunts (5 Bunts each)
• Round 2: Bunt for Base Hit (5 Bunts each)
• Round 3: Situational Hitting (7 swings each)
• Round 4: Free Round- contact hitting to get on base (7 swings each)
Pitcher/Catcher Bullpen Session With catcher in full gear, have pitchers (1 or 2 at a time based on catcher and bullpen availability) throw 30-40 pitches focusing on pitching mechanics and rhythm in the following sequence:
• Pitches 1-7, fastball to middle of the plate to outside corner
Simulated Game Situations• Set players in their infield/outfield positions
• Have 4-5 runners available to simulate game speed situations
• Coach will simulate live game situations by hitting ball into play. Focus should be on both proper base running during situations, and proper defensive positioning play, including proper coverage, back up bases, cut-offs and relay throws.
• Rotate defensive players and base runners every 6-9 outs.
|Catching & Fielding:
Review videos on how to position yourself on the field for advantage
PRACTICE SESSION REFERENCES
|Week 1||Week 2|
|Week 3 – Member access||Week 4 – Member access|
|Week 5 – Member access||Week 6 – Member access|
|Week 7 – Member access||Week 8 – Member access|
|Week 9 – Member access||Week 10 – Member access|
All Copyrights Reserved. 2015 Inside Baseball